Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cornish Pasties

I have it on good authority that as well as cake and champagne, hot and cold hors d'œuvre will be served at the royal nuptials. Palace favorites include sausage rolls and Cornish Pasties. Since my invite appears to be lost in the mail, I decided I needed my own pasties to toast the happy couple.

Several recipes got confused at the grocery. I picked up potatoes, carrots, a rutabaga, onions and a small inexpensive steak. I was trying to use the best from 2 recipes for this dish and I finally realized I did not have all the ingredients for either. Welcome to my kitchen. How wrong could it be?

First I made the pasty dough by boiling water with butter then adding flour and salt. I set this aside in the fridge to cool for a bit while I chopped the veggies and meat very fine. (I forgot the carrots.) The seasonings called for bouillon (check) and I thought the mixture could use a little flour and dill seeds although they were not included in either recipe. One recipe suggested I cook the meat and veggies before stuffing the dough; the other did not. (I decided not) One recipe suggested I bake the pasties at 425 and the other at 350. One recipe said to bake for 35 minutes while the other said an hour. Oh, the recipes called for ground beef, ground pork, or chicken thighs. I used none of these. I think I am a rather cavalier cook. I had no idea if this savory was going to be worth repeating.

I rolled the pastry dough out in circles; added a generous helping of the meat veggie mixture; folded the dough; crimped the edges; did the egg wash thing; set the oven temp to 425; cooked it for 30 minutes, then lowered the temp to 350 and cooked it for 20 minutes more.

They were pretty tasty pasties. I wonder how the palace makes theirs. Do you think they’ll ask me for my recipe?

Cheers to William and Kate.

2 comments:

  1. Forget the wedding, go to Italy instead! Good to hear your blogs again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the Cornish Pasties very much. Those, with a salad, and eating out on the deck watching the mountains -- very nice...

    ReplyDelete