Sunday, April 24, 2011

California Dreaming

A couple of years ago Paul suggested we enclose an unused part of the deck to make a closet – a dressing room – a boudoir. He asked me to think about what I would like. When he went to Russia for most of last year, his departing gift to me was the room enclosure. This included insulation, walls, 2 windows, 4 electrical outlets, ceiling light drops and a built in ironing board. Okay, so it is more of a room than a closet.
I was starting to despair of ever hanging any clothes in my new space and voiced my frustration. Lo and behold, Ben showed up, laid the floor, sanded it and finished with polyurethane. The following week all the closet bits were being cut and fitted into place. How many closet rods? How many shelves? What about the corners? How many drawers? Desk/dressing table? You say you want concave corners? Paint or stain?
An interior designer said, “Oh, it’s a California closet.” I had never heard this term but now it is part of my vocabulary. Paul told friends that many men worry that their wives want to come of out the closet. He has a wife who wants to get into the closet.
We call it the White Room.

1 comment: